Thursday, October 27, 2005

Being extraordinary

I love first times. I was recently asked to write an endorsement for a book – the short words of praise for a book found on the back of the book jacket. That was a first for me. The book “Extraordinary Life Skills” by Mel Arat describes how we can live ordinary, or even less than ordinary lives, and choose to live extraordinary or “supra-ordinary” lives. Mel is from Turkey, and was a student in my “Start Your Own Business” class I teach at New York University.

Mel's book makes sense to me and I was thrilled for the opportunity to write an endorsement. One of the most important and new concepts to me that he presented was a distinction made for the person who is supra-ordinary. A critical trait, he writes, of the supra-ordinary man or woman is that they accept responsibility and are ready to pay for the products and services that they want. Mel calls this the demand, as in an economic sense - creating something that someone else is willing to pay for. It is not about the money, however, but about the effort that is needed to realize the goal. The ordinary person may want something but is not willing to go through the effort required to obtain it fully. It is about money, as well as effort. For the supra-ordinary person money is a tool not an end and will without hesitation pay for what he or she wants in their life in recognition of the person and effort of the person providing the product or service.

I think it applies to all parts of ones life.

No comments: